Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Gretta's Blog Post 3, Edutopia Video

The video that I chose from Edutopia, was Tricks of the Trade: Quieting the Classroom. I initially chose this video because the topic caught my attention immediately. I think one of the major problems with new teachers is classroom management. I think part of the reason new teachers have problems with this technique is because we are unsure the best way to gain control of the classroom. This deals with getting the classroom to be quiet. Kids are naturally hyper and very talkative, so keeping them quiet is somewhat a task. In the video, Tricks of the Trade: Quieting the Classroom, the teacher instructed teachers to never raise their voice at a student to get them quiet. I agree with this statement, once a teacher has raised her voice or yelled it shows your frustration with the class. You also have to keep in mind that you don't want your students to yell, so you should exemplify the same behavior. The teacher in the video also suggested using some type of technique to get your students quiet. For example, she suggested counting. In a lot of elementary classrooms, the teacher holds up her hand and counts to five. I've found this technique to be very helpful.

1 comment:

cwilli34 said...

I think that it is great to find out ways to manage students as far as behavior speaking. I also believe and agree that a teacher should never raise their voice at a student, but at the same time it is like you have to increase the volume of your voice so that you are able to gain your students attention. I have seen a lot of these type of techniques being used while I am out in the field, and the seem to work because in some way I feel that students respond better to non-verbal attention getters rather than repeatedly asking them to be quiet, etc.