Monday, December 1, 2008

Blog Post 3

I chose to watch a video from edutopia. I watched Student Body: Classroom Exercise Makes Learning Lively
This video was about 4 techniques that you can do in the classroom befre or during class to get students up and moving and thinking clearly. I chose this video because we learned about this in our P.E. class and i found it really interesting. The techniques that the guy in video used were kinda of calm and boring. I thought that it would have been more upbeat and fun but they were all just stand in one place movements. I guess this would be good for large classes and older grades. The only problem that it might cause in older grades would that the kids wouldn't participate and some of the movements are funny looking so it could create a distraction. The overall purpose of this video was to introduce movement in the classroom so that it gets the kids back on track with a movement activity.

4 comments:

ADishman said...

I would have to agree with you that movement in the classroom is important and motivates the students. I definitely benefitted from all of the "energizer" activities that we did in P.E. I feel that I can later use those activities with my students when class gets dull and boring.

Anonymous said...

I believe it is important to incorporate movement in the classroom. Kids just get bored with material after a while and movement gets the minds generating and moving if the students get up and move around for a bit after a long period of a continuation of sitting down. I do remember learning about this in our P.E. class as well those enrgizers do help the students learn and fun and creative way.

cwilli34 said...

I enjoyed watching this video as well. Like you said these techniques were similar to Energizers that we had learned about in P.E.. I feel that these types of activities will break-up the boredom and listening to a teacher give a lesson, and will get their minds re-energized. I haven't tried energizers per se, but I have seen my teacher do activities similar to energizers and as far as I could tell they do work. After getting students re-focused they were better behaved as well as their participation in the lesson had increased.

Gretta said...

Incorporating movement in the class is very important. If teachers plan to incorporate it, then it needs to be something that the students will actually enjoy. The objective is to get the students actually moving and it is suppose to be fun. Therefore, it has to be an activity that will give them a lot of energy. There were several of these activities that I learned in our P.E class.