Monday, December 1, 2008

Blog Post 2

Sir Ken states, "Creativity is as important as literacy in education, and we should treat it with the same status."

I do agree with Sir Ken on this statement. I think that it is very important for a child to be able to express creativity. I know that when i was in school it was more fun and allowed us to show our creative side. However, now that i have done many different school field placements, i have found that most creativity has been taken out of the school. I feel like there are many ways to involve creativity through out the curriculum including literacy. A lot of times i have noticed that some kids do not want to pay attention to certain subjects because they have no interest, just as Ken said. If a teacher were to involve some creative aspect to the same subject the child's interest could change in a heartbeat. I have seen just recently in a child i was tutoring in reading that he hated to read. I found out that he loved to do science experiments so i let him read the instructions to science experiments which led him to begin reading and he did not even know it. I allowed for his creativity to shine through while involving literacy. I think all schools should do this. Unfourtanety, schools say they just don't have time. That is a shame

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do agree, creativity has been limited to students. I believe that the literacy aspect and creativity do go hand in hand. That is awesome in your experience how you were able to let that creativity shine from that student. Its amazing how much we don't give credit to students. Their minds are full of creativitiness and that helps them to expand in their knowledge. It is a shame how schools are all about testing and respond with they have no time to let the creative minds of students work. Yes, what a shame!

cwilli34 said...

I agree with you, because I have also noticed out in my field placements that schools/ teachers are not allowing students to be creative. I think creativity is what sets each person apart from the other. I feel that if we try to include just a little opportunity for students to be creative, their interest in school as well as school subjects will probably change. I think if we could incorporate some type of creative writing/ illustration, or anything to that nature in other subjects, our students will have a different outlook on their interest in education

Gretta said...

You are right!!! A lot of teachers are not giving students the opportunity to be creative in the classroom. I feel as though teacher's main focus is on their students passing the standardized tests. It's all about book work, no creativity. I know that passing those tests are important, but teachers need to learn that they have to allow some time for their students to still have fun and be creative. Learning is suppose to be creative and fun, right??