Wednesday, November 12, 2008

"Do Schools Kill Creativity?"

Sir Ken states, "Creativity is as important as literacy in education, and we should treat it with the same status." Do you agree, disagree or fall somewhere in between? Explain.

I do agree with Sir Ken because I believe that students creativity should be on a similar rank as literacy. Literacy is stressed a lot within schools so that students are able to understand and process what is presented before them. I think that creativity should be stressed also because without being able to have the ability to be creative students skills are unknown. I think that if we take the time to see how creative a student is and in what way, we then are able to use their creative skills to strengthen other areas, such as various academic subjects, in which they may be weaker. I feel that creativity and literacy can go hand-in-hand because students can illustrate pictures and then you can have them write about it. I think that if there isn't a strain on the flexibility of creativity, then students may want to write a lot about their illustrations. Once the student has written about their picture you can then take that particular creative moment and turn it into a learning experience. If you make mention of a couple of grammatical or spelling errors to the student, I feel that the next time the student will want to spend more time trying to give their best on the literacy part because they are so proud of what they have created. I feel that if we spend less time on trying to conquer things as a big picture, such as literacy, and try to reinforce things as a little picture it will be even more effective. Students feel stressed when concepts are introduced at them, but if we as teachers take the time to include creative, yet fun as well as educational activities students will become interested to the subject because it allows them to have a "little freedom."

4 comments:

K Huett said...

Great points, Cwilli!

Jennbrown8 said...

I completely agree with your posting, i made a similar posting about the same issue. I made a point to add how when i was in school we did a lot of creative stuff and now in schools they say there is just not enough time. I also made a point that students would be more likely do do something if it interest them and a lot of time creativity does interest them.

Anonymous said...

Many students are visual learners and if they can come up with a creative way to remember certain material that is being taught, then yes let their creative go wild. Its just a shame how schools today limit students on creativiness and they are always worried about time frame for material. I just wish one day the schools will realize that creavity and literacy go hand-in-hand.

Gretta said...

I completely agree with you. However, I think that it will be hard to reach that level in today's school systems. I think that this problem starts with the different teachers in the school. I think that early grades are taugth more so to be creative. It seems as though the older you get, the more you are not taught to be creative anymore.